Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Strike One

So last night I actually took the time to cook dinner. Yesterday morning I had pulled out some pork chops from the freezer so I would have something to cook other than frozen chicken nuggets or frozen pizza. But first I started on the cheesey cabbage. It was a very simple receipe so I thought it should turn out okay. I cooked up the pork chops and simmered them in some Tastefully Simple Sauce and then threw some peas in the microwave. I also set everything on the table for the kids to make their own salad. I barely got dinner started before I heard complaints, mostly from my darling daughter. I don't like pork chops, I don't want cabbage (keep in mind that is what she picked out). As we were about to sit down to eat my son asked if we could eat his red pepper that he had picked out (I love that kid). So I just cut it up instead of making the recipe for that. I cut it in slices then cut it up into little pieces and put a piece on each kid's plates. Ryan ate his right away and said it was just okay. I ate mine expecting to have to wash it down really fast(I was really not looking forward to it but wanted to set a good example). To my surprise it wasn't that bad. Ashley of course refused. She also refused to try her cabbage and didn't want anything to do with her pork chops. Really? Does this have anything to do with the chips and salas you were eating when you came home? She did however eat a lot of peas, which they happen to like anyway and made herself a big salad. I was smiling, until she took two bites and said she was done. Right about now is when I would like to say, fine, I give up. But I am really going to make an effort.

Needless to say, Ashley sat at the table until the dishes were cleared and most were washed. So when we couldn't wait any longer, we told her that she just needed to eat her salad, which she made herself, and the rest of her peas and then we would leave. We had to go to the store for a few things. Dad told her that if she ate those two things we would stop for a treat on the way home. She said she didn't care if she didn't get a treat because she was full.

Off we went to the store and stopped on the way home for our treat. Scott and I just got a shake and Ryan had a sip or two. Then Ashley decided she wanted to try it. Of course we both said no. But all of a sudden she was very upset that she wasn't able to have any. I'm confused. I thought she said she didn't care. I thought she said she was really full. Suddenly she was starving and she really needed something to eat. She was crying and being very dramatic. Imagine that, my daughter being dramatic.But I held firm. No treats for you.

Maybe she will learn? I hope.

1 comment:

  1. What? A kid who protests at dinner? I usually end up making us dinner, and something else for Gavin on a nightly basis. I know I should just make him eat what we eat, but he would be skinnier than what he in now!
    Sounds like Ashley's your boundary pusher. Good for you that you stood your ground. I'm not sure I could have!

    ReplyDelete